Friday, February 6, 2009

The Rainforest and Beyond

Hello everyone

I am feeling some what overwhelmed with the amount of things I want to say. Everytime I thought this week couldn't get any better, it did.

I think that it makes sense to start with the rainforest weekend. Dave and I took a matatu (code word for stinky taxi with 14 seat and twenty people) for an hour and a half to Kakamega. When we got there we found a motorcyle (piki piki) who took us to the wrong forest. We then found another driver to take us to the real forest. We got there at 12 and after lunch we went on a six hour hike. The most amazing thing was how everything in the forest was so alive. We saw three different kinds of monkeys and tons of beautiful butterflies. Our guide was very friendly and knew so much.

The next day we got up at 3:30 in the morning and started hiking at 4:00 am We hiked for an hour and then climbed 1700 meters up a hill for the sun rise. We got there and watched the stars for a while and then the sun came up. I do believe that I have just about enough photo evidence in case you don't believe me.

After the great weekend it just got better. The day I asked Mama Joyce about when she was expecting other volunteers Allastair showed up. The next day two other canadians showed up. We are now five canadians in Kenya. There are two business guys and now three nurses. We also met a couple guys that work in Bungoma Town. We are meeting up with them for roasted goat and beer tonight.

Tomorrow we are getting up early to go to Kisumu. I am going to go see some hippos. I am hopefully also going to find hiking boots. I have quite spontaneously as per my nature decided to climb Mt Kenya while I am here. I am now running every second day and doing yoga every day.

I almost forgot to write the most exciting news. I have money now. I got my visa card and bank card yesterday. Yay. Now I think I might get us robbed since I keep on shouting that I have money and waving it about taking pictures.

Hope everyone is doing as well as I am. There is so much more to say, but it will just have to wait.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! ....can't wait to hear all about it!
    Hillside Inside is tomorrow and we'll so miss you but I'm guessing you're ok with it as you'll be frolicking with hippos :)
    Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete