Saturday, February 14, 2009

Work is cracking my heart wide open.

It has been quite the week.

The week was pretty intense work wise. The week was also intense because we all took turns getting a little bit sick. For Monday and Wednesday I went and helped out in the outpatient HIV clinic in Bungoma town. It was absolutely fascinating and heart breaking. I saw things and facial expressions that will stick with me for a long time. The Monday alone almost brought me to tears a couple times. The thing that affects me the most is the children. The picture of a three month old in the hands of a twenty two year old mother was almost to much for me. Again I seem to be unable to quite put the experience into words.

For all of Thursday and Friday I launched myself into studying and preparing the Empower Program which I start teaching on Monday. There is a lot of information that I need to be really comfortable with before I start teaching HIV/AIDS awareness. I am so excited to start. The training lasts for six sessions. I will get the opportunity to teach two groups before I leave ICODEI.

Right now I am in Kitale which is 2.5 hours away from Bungoma. We head to Mt Elgon tomorrow for cave exploration. We bought a bottle of wine for tonight so that we can celebrate Valentines Day polygami style which is Alistair and four girls.

We said goodbye to Dave last night. We went out for a great meal that we finally sat down to eat at about 10pm. The highlite of the night was the trip home. The Resort promised to drive us back, but we had no idea what we were in for. It ended up being a pick up truck with metal bars around it. With us standing in the back the trip quickly became more exhilerating then the motorcycle rides.

Fun is being had by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment